There are many different ways to invest in the kids that we serve.
If your preferred method doesn’t appear below, email us or call 1.720.981.2532 ext 100.
Are you interested in giving online today in support of our mission? Click here to make a secure online gift by credit/debit card or electronic funds transfer (EFT).
Checks or Cash
Checks made payable to the John Austin Cheley Foundation or A Thousand Summers can be mailed to:
John Austin Cheley Foundation
1420 N. Ogden St. Suite 102
Denver, CO 80218
Are you interested in making a monthly, quarterly or annual donation? Click here to set up your donation today and become a member of our Trailblazer Program, making a significant impact on a camper’s summer. Just $25 a month will provide a camper with equipment and help fund their camp store account. Questions? Contact us by email or phone 1.720.981.2532 ext 100.
When you make a gift to the John Austin Cheley Foundation or A Thousand Summers in honor of or in memory of a loved one, you are not only supporting the kids in our program, but you are recognizing those that you love in a very special way.
Honor a special person or celebrate the life of a loved one by making a tribute gift today. Making a tribute gift is a special way to honor and remember or celebrate important occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and graduations or honor a friend or family member.
Making a tribute gift in memory of a loved one or a special friend who has passed is also a lovely way to remember them as well as support the children in our program.
All tribute gifts will be recognized in our annual reports and a special card will be sent to the friends and family that you designate, informing them of your contribution. If you wish to notify the honoree or his or her family of your gift, please provide contact information when you make your gift. The amount of the gift is not disclosed.
Gifts may be made online, by phone at 1.720.981.2532 ext 100 or by mail:
John Austin Cheley Foundation
1420 N. Ogden St. Suite 102
Denver, CO 80218
When giving by mail, please let us know the person’s full name and whether the gift is in memory of or in honor of.
When giving online, complete the “Notes” section of the giving form. Where prompted, choose your tribute type (in memory of or in honor of) and the person’s full name.
Additional information and services:
If you’d like to include the John Austin Cheley Foundation in an obituary announcement, we recommend the following wording that can be personalized to your needs:
Memorial contributions may be made to the John Austin Cheley Foundation. Please direct your gift to [fund] in memory of [name]. Gifts may be made online, by phone at 1.720.981.2532 ext 100 or by mail: John Austin Cheley Foundation, 1420 N. Ogden St. #102, Denver, CO 80218.
For information on how to start a memorial gift fund or if you have any other questions, please email us or call 1.720.981.2532 ext 100.
Gifts of Stock
Gifts of stock are a wonderful way to support our Campership Program. As you make the transfer, please email us or call us at 1.720.981.2532 ext 100 and let us know the specifics of your securities transfer (name(s) of stock, how many shares, and other pertinent information). Donor names generally are not provided when gifts come into our account so please include your name and contact information in your email to us. This helps us facilitate matching the gift to you and providing a receipt more quickly.
- Download our stock transfer instructions.
- If your brokerage firm is Charles Schwab, please complete the Charles Schwab Stock Gift Form.
- For gifts of mutual funds or other investments from a brokerage firm other than Charles Schwab, please complete the Stock/Securities Transfer Form
- Email us or call 1.720.981.2532 ext 100 if you have any questions.
IRA Charitable Rollover
If you are 70 ½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit the A Thousand Summers and receive tax benefits in return. You can give any amount up to $100,000 per year from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money. This popular gift option is commonly called the IRA charitable rollover, but you may also see it referred to as a qualified charitable distribution, or QCD for short.
The SECURE Act of 2019 raised the start of required minimum distributions to age 72.
Nonetheless, a donor can still make a charitable distribution from an IRA beginning at age 70 ½ and pay no tax on the distribution. Donors who turned age 70 ½ in 2019 or before remain subject to the rules in place before the SECURE Act was passed and must take a distribution in 2020. Click here for our SECURE Act Fact Sheet.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020 has made a temporary change that will impact required minimum distributions (RMDs) from certain IRAs and defined benefit plans are suspended for the remainder of the year. Click here for our CARES Act Fact Sheet.
Why Consider This Gift?
- Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making.
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- Since the gift doesn’t count as income, it can reduce your annual income level. This may help lower your Medicare premiums and decrease the amount of Social Security that is subject to tax.
- There are other ways to benefit from a gift from an IRA, so be sure to consult with your tax professional to learn more about how this can benefit you personally.
Employer Matching Gifts
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match charitable contributions made by their employees. They are a great way to maximize personal contributions to the John Austin Cheley Foundation and increase the impact of a gift. By taking advantage of your company’s matching gift benefit, you may be able to double or even triple the amount of your contribution. To find out if your company has a matching gift policy, please contact your employer’s Human Resources Department or enter your employer’s name in the search box below.
If your company is eligible, contact your employer for instructions on how to request the match. The impact of your gift to the John Austin Cheley Foundation may be doubled or possibly tripled. Some companies will also match gifts made by spouses of their employees and/or retirees.
Adopt A Camper Program
The Adopt A Camper Program is a multi-year investment in a child’s future. It provides the donor with an opportunity to forge a meaningful relationship with one of our campers and their family, showing firsthand the tremendous growth and development that happens as a result of the camp experience.
The unique opportunity that is the Adopt A Camper Program has been highly meaningful to our donors, creating relationships that go well beyond the usual donor experience.
With a contribution of $25,000, a camper will be given the chance to attend camp for FIVE years under the direct sponsorship of the donor.
What could be a better investment?
To learn more about the Adopt A Camper program, please email or call 1.720.981.2532 ext 100.
Endowed Campership Program
An Endowed Campership is a tremendously significant investment in the future of the young people we serve. It is a named fund established through a $150,000 gift that is restricted to send a child to camp in perpetuity.
To learn more about establishing an Endowed Campership, please email or call 1.720.981.2532 ext 100.
Many thanks to our generous supporters who have invested in the Endowed Campership Program. The following funds have been established:
- Craig I. Colvig Fund
- Reverdie & Jean Ater Memorial Campership
- Sis Cheley Memorial Endowment Fund
- John C. Lebor Memorial Campership Fund
- The Robert Perkins Campership Fund
- Kundtz/Tuohy Endowed Campership
- Laura Naugle Sanborn & Mary Colvig Miller Campership
- The Carol Hershey Periard Family Fund
- Anna Belle Kritser Memorial Fund
- John T. Jackson Endowed Campership
- Mary E. Satter Endowed Campership
- The Brown Family Campership Fund
- Williams Family Campership Fund
- Livingston Family Fund
- Ann Kuhn Endowed Campership Fund
- Jack Cheley Endowed Campership Fund
Other Ways To Support Us
Shop at Amazon Smile
We are proud to collaborate with Amazon Smile to make a difference for the kids we serve.
Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of eligible purchases to the John Austin Cheley Foundation. It’s easy!
1. Visit amazonsmile.com
2. Sign in with your amazon.com login.
3. Designate the John Austin Cheley Foundation as your preferred nonprofit.
4. Start shopping!
Shop at King Soopers or City Market
It’s so easy! Designate the John Austin Cheley Foundation as the preferred nonprofit on your loyalty account with King Soopers/City Market and a percentage of your total purchases will support our programs and the campers we serve!
1. Visit kingsoopers.com or citym
2. Under “Sign in” go to “My Account” and sign in to your loyalty card account.
3. Select “Community Awards.”
4. Under “Find an Organization” type in HN312 or John Austin Cheley Foundation and then click “Enroll.”
5. Tell your family and friends! – click here to download a flyer to share with others.
Remember to swipe your registered King Soopers or City Market loyalty card or use the phone number associated with your card whenever you shop for each purchase to count.
After you enroll in the Community Awards program, King Soopers will send quarterly distributions directly to the Foundation based on a percentage of your total purchases. Due to privacy laws, the Foundation will not receive individual donation information.
ReFUND CO – Refund What Matters
If you live in Colorado and you get a state income tax refund you will have a new opportunity to donate some or all of it to support our ongoing work in the community.
The new ReFUND CO initiative puts you in charge of where your donation goes. It’s as simple as 1,2,3:
1. Decide how much of your refund to donate.
2. Enter John Austin Cheley Foundation and our registration number 20033007104 in the Donate to a Colorado Nonprofit Fund line on your state income tax return or tax software – or just give this information to your tax preparer when you share your tax documents.
3. Smile knowing you’ve helped a cause that matters to you.
Learn more about this program at RefundWhatMatters.org.
Note: Coloradans who choose this method of donating will not automatically receive a tax receipt or acknowledgement from the John Austin Cheley Foundation as state income tax filing information is confidential. Instead, if you would like a full receipt, please send a copy of your Voluntary Contribution Schedule with your SSN blacked out – along with your name by email.
1420 N. Ogden Street, Suite 102
Denver, CO 80218
1.720.981.2532 ext 100
For Professional Advisors
If you are working with a professional advisor or advising a donor, this guide may assist you with creating a charitable estate plan.
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in any examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results.